Our backyard patio is one of my favorite parts of our house, with a spacious wood deck lined with rose and peony bushes and an outdoor fireplace. However, I have yet to decorate it (other than hanging bistro lights for a party right after we moved in). My excuse is that every time we clean the freaking thing, it just gets dirty again. There is a huge overhanging tree that drops gum balls like crazy and poor Corey just can’t keep up with it. And don’t even get me started on this pollen that just sits on the wood planks and refuses to get washed away by the rain. So most of the time the patio is a mess and I just don’t want to have to deal with cleaning up the decor in addition to keeping it walkable.
But then I see all of these beauties…
Image credits: One / Two / Three / Four
They all look pretty glorious. So let’s just hypothesize about how I would incorporate some low maintenance decor that would allow for all of my friends to come over for an evening outdoor dinner situation, shall we?
1) I think we need a nice long table to take up some space. This folding table from Ikea is pretty attractive and the right price (i.e., cheap).
2) I’m quite fond of these chairs. Are they comfortable? Probably not. But they are simple and pretty.
3) I’ve wanted a striped umbrella for a long time. Maybe this will be the big year that I purchase one.
4) Oh Serena and Lily. Why do you make pillows that are so beautiful and so out of my price range? Why?
5) A nice neutral navy pillow never hurt anyone.
6) I’m not sure why I don’t already have some of these metallic planters. It’s stupid really.
7) So I love lanterns but they are freaking hard to keep clean. Do you guys just put them out for parties and keep them inside the rest of the time? My lanterns that have been outside look pretty awful. Granted, I haven’t cleaned them since my wedding almost four years ago so that could have something to do with it.
Oh man, I LOVE your patio and backyard. I think it looks fab like it is but there are so many options out there to make it even cozier. First up, you NEED those metallic planters with some succulents. I’m in love with those. Surely those can’t be too expensive (or crafty patty it up?). I’m sure whatever you decide on will be super great though.
Thanks love! It is quite a delight when there aren’t freaking gumballs everywhere. I think we all need those planters.
I got that gold pot when I was at West Elm the other day. It has a succulent in it, Tay ;). Anyways, it’s a winner and you should get it too.
Meg, I’m pretty sure I HAVE to have it! And with a succulent 🙂
How about some kind of awning so the gum balls will fall off into the planting beds!