As with all of my home decorating purchases, I’ve decided to make purchasing a tree skirt entirely more complicated than it needed to be. I started out thinking I was going to buy a simple burlap one from West Elm, but then it quickly sold out. Then I stumbled upon this basket tree skirt from Terrain, and seriously pondered buying it. I had seen basket tree skirts before and thought they were super cute, but wasn’t quite sure how it worked. One day I finally went to purchase said basket and the darn thing was also sold out. Rats! So instead, Corey and I decided to just make our own tree basket skirt out of a normal basket. I’m so glad we did because I’m in love with it. This is really barely a DIY because it is so easy (assuming you have big clippers). I didn’t even take pictures of us doing things.
What you’ll need:
– Large basket with a diameter that is bigger than your tree stand. We used this one from World Market, which was reasonably priced.
– Super duper heavy duty clippers
– Christmas tree
– Trash bag
What you’ll do:
1) Clip out the bottom part of the basket, taking care to not harm the structural integrity of the sides.
2) Put your Christmas tree in your stand and straighten like you normally would. Trim off branches from the bottom of the tree until the bottom of the greenery lines up with the top of the basket.
3) Spread out a trash bag inside the bottom of the basket to help protect floors from watering spills. Then lift up the tree and stand and place inside the basket. We had to tilt the basket sideways while putting the tree inside since our ceilings are so low. Voila! Tree in a basket!
I love it! You two are quite the handy couple!
I am a little jealous of this. I think it would help my cat/tree situation immensely. Looks awesome.
I LOVE the basket!!! Does is make it harder to water it? We’ve been looking everywhere for the tree funnel for watering!
Thanks Christina! It isn’t really harder, you just kind of have to be smart about it. We use a water bottle and kind of adjust branches so we can see what we are doing when we pour the water in the tree stand. There were some tree funnels for watering at the Christmas tree lot at Carmel Commons. You could try there!
Yeahhhh… I seriously love this.
I can’t wait for the article about a cat getting stuck in a tree basket; it’s coming, even if I have to force a cat into it.