We felt that our hummingbird cupcakes Meg showed you on Tuesday were so spectacular, they deserved a little beautifying. Seriously, side note, if you guys have not tried them, go make that recipe immediately. Life changing. So anywho, beautifying. We thought some cute little cupcake toppers would do the trick. And really, who doesn’t need a little sparkly gold bunting in their life? We were inspired by the Wedding Chick’s free chalkboard printables and decided to use the idea to make our little chalkboard cupcake toppers.
What You’ll Need for Cupcake Toppers
– White cardstock
– Gold sparkled cardstock
– Glue gun and glue sticks
– Circle punch and other shape punch that fits inside circle. I think both of our punches are from Michael’s.
– Small bottle of chalkboard paint
– Paint brush
What You’ll Do to make Cupcake Toppers
1) Punch out your sparkly gold circles. Punch enough circles to make sure you have 2 for each cupcake topper (i.e., the front and the back).
2) For only half of your gold circles, punch out of the circle your shape that fits inside. Look on the side of the punch to line up the paper to make sure that it is not too close to the edge. You want the outside of the circle to stay together. See the bottom left picture below for an example of what you don’t want.
3) Punch enough circles out of white card stock to have one for each cupcake topper.
4) Paint your white card stock circles with the chalkboard paint. Let dry. The directions say to paint multiple coats and let dry for a really long time, but since this isn’t something we were going to be re-writing on, we just painted one coat and let dry for about 20 minutes. If they are wonky, flatten with a book.
5) Use a glue stick to glue the gold circle with the cutout on top of the chalkboard side of the circle.
6) Use a glue gun and put a small mark on the back of the chalkboard circle to hold the toothpick on. Make sure the toothpick will be glued in the right place (i.e., so your sign isn’t on its side). After you press down the toothpick, also glue around the edges of the back of the chalkboard circle to glue your other sparkly circle to the back. This will just make the topper look finished on both sides.
7) Write your chalk message (or letter) and place in cupcake.
What You’ll Need for Sparkly Gold Bunting
– Same sparkly gold card stock
– Mini circle punch. Or you can just cut out little circles with your scissors.
– Twine or other piece of string. You could also use thin ribbon. Length will depend on how long you want the bunting to be.
– Glue gun and glue sticks
– Cute striped straws or stick that can be used as bunting “poles.” You could also use the lollipop sticks that we used for our apple pie pops.
What You’ll Do for Sparkly Gold Bunting
1) Punch (or cut) out number of mini circles that you would like. The number will depend on the length of your bunting. We cut out about 10 mini circles because we knew we wanted our bunting to be pretty short.
2) Use glue gun to glue the gold circles onto your twine. Again, we just estimated the length. Then we placed the circles face down and placed little dots of glue and glued on one at a time by pressing the twine into the glue. Let dry.
And here they are together. Cute right?